Sunday, August 14, 2022

Remembering Finn Thilo Trommer


Rosemerry, Finn's mother, has been writing through her loss and grief and helping us all understand the power of love to overcome even the most  devastating of tragedies. Many of you came join us for  this memorial to honor Finn and how he touched us. Here is one of the many poems Rosemerry has written in the wake of his passing:


The Unheard


 I do not hear his shrieks of laughter

escaping from his room.

I don’t hear his hand beating time against the table.

I don’t hear the luff of his breath

as I stand beside him while he sleeps.

I don’t hear the fear in his voice

when he begs me, please mom, please.

 

I hear the rain on the rooftop,

a morse code of love I don’t know how to translate

except in shades of green.

I hear cars on the highway,

and remember life is moving.

I hear the whir of the hummingbird wings

and the black notes of crows

and the silence where the boy

no longer grows.

 

If you ask me do I hear his voice,

I would tell you no.

But that is only partly true.

I do not hear his voice in words.

I don’t hear it the way perhaps I wish to.

But I hear him inside me, not a whisper,

but a voice that sounds startlingly like my own,

a voice that sounds like rain on the roof,

like cars on the highway, like hummingbird wings,

like crows, like the silence

where my love for the boy still grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome and civil dialogue encouraged