Friday, January 6, 2023

A Sixties San Francisco Love Poem

 


Inspired by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer's poem-a-day practice, I've made a New Year's resolution, as we Americans are wont to do. For 50+ years I've been writing poems, hundreds and hundreds of them, and tossing them into piles.  My archives are voluminous. Having written a history column in Telluride for 10+ years (Mining the Gold), I know how important saved papers can be. Losing years worth of  journals (and most everything else) in a Placerville fire  in the early '80's didn't help. 

So, in the years-long process of moving out of Cloud Acre in Norwood, I've stumbled on a bin of old poems going back to  the mid-Sixties when I returned from my VISTA year on the Crow Reservation in Lodgegrass, Montana, to Herb Caen's Baghdad-by-the-Bay -- just in time for the Summer of Love. 

I plan on reviewing at least one a day.  Revising. Reshaping. Recreating as I love to do. Poetry is my meditation. My free play time. I'm starting from the top of loose-leaf congeries two feet deep with only occasional dates. Here's the first one I've found where I didn't want to change much of anything. 


MONA


riding a motorcycle

isn't the only way to 

see San Francisco


unless you're circling the block

to pick up a young lady

who says yes


& smiles like a farm in

Santa Cruz where the apples

aren't waxed


delight twists the throttle

hugging our way

through traffic


when we stop she climbs

the stairs to do her dishes

the sky a soapy gray


gliding back down Market St.

her telephone number

whistles  in my wallet


like kids running to school

in the rain

without their umbrellas



7 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Art. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it made me chuckle, thinking back to the Sixties

      Delete
  2. “Her telephone number whistles in my pocket” What a great line! Evokes so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arthur, I love your magic , dancing in your blue orbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poetry is a kind of magic where we dance with the hard facts, blue orbs and black eyes.

      Delete
  4. Best place for a gal's phone number!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome and civil dialogue encouraged