Thursday, February 17, 2022

International Fungi & Fiber Symposium

LEARNING HOW TO DYE WITH FUNGI

Alissa Allen and the Shroompa at the 39th Shroomfest 

I just got my ticket to attend the 19th International Fungi & Fiber Symposium at Fort Worden in Port Townsend (WA) October 16-22, 13022 [Western Slope Calendar]. The amazing Alissa Allen, who comes to the Telluride Mushroom Festival, is one of the organizers. 

Alissa is the founder of Mycopigments, and has been sharing her passion for mushroom and lichen dyes and collaborating with other dyers for over 15 years. She has written articles for the Fibershed blog and Fungi magazine, as well as having created two active discussion groups: "Mushroom and Lichen Dyers United" and the "Mushroom Dyers Trading Post." She is dedicated to furthering the art and science of dyeing through community engagement, open discussion, and friendly encouragement. Her focus is studying regional mycoflora and using their colorful dyes to entice people to pay closer attention to the role fungi play in our lives. Follow her HERE

Basketry with yarn is my passion. Although I managed back in the Seventies to take a class with famed Pomo basketweaver and Indigenous Wise Woman Mabel McKay, I don't use traditional materials. Not only is itki a full-time job harvesting and preparing roots and bark, but since most weaving is done while the fibers are wet (so that they tighten when they dry), arthritis was endemic among Indigenous basketmakers. So that didn't seem wise, even if I had the time and access to native plants.  That was one disincentive, along with respect for a tradition that wasn't mine. Mabel said she never wove a basket she didn't dream first.


However, color is something that's fascinated me since my First Grade teacher Miss Purse made us first period pledge for the principal "I Like Ike" and told me that I had no sense of color. While true I did not excel at drawing, early discouragement can have lasting effects. In this case itki  became a kind of life challenge. Writing did become my main artistic medium, but weaving has always been my fall-back art form. Mostly because I love experimenting with COLORS. I carry a weaving basket with me almost everywhere. In politics I wove during meetings to help me stay focused and listen to hours of often boring testimony, bureaucratic reports, etc.


I use a simple wrap&tie  coiling technique. Each basket is a combination of intent, random mistake/opportunities, and availability of yarns. And actually they're meant as "wall mandalas" to bless a home. Mostly I give them away to friends, county retirees I liked, and folks getting married.



I've used a few mushroom-dyed yarns in the past, but I've always wanted to learn how to make my own dyes from the plentiful mushrooms that grow in the San Juans. I'm excited to learn this coming fall from some of the world's masters.



If you're interested, go HERE to sign up. I'm thinking of driving out from Colorado in October and will be looking for riders.





2 comments:

  1. Yaay!!! I love this Art, I am so glad you were able to overcome and transform your early experience in school. I can't wait to see what you do with mushroom dyed fiber. See you in October!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to take this next step, given a second chance to cause more trouble in this life. Basketry has long been a craft I've practiced. Itki will be wonderful to study with masters like yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome and civil dialogue encouraged